Monday, April 16, 2012

Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad with Apples and Thyme


I am in love with salads. Of all kinds. Not just your veggie salads, but pasta salad and egg salad and oh yes, chicken salad. I am NOT in love with mayonnaise. I can do the olive oil mayonnaise, and don't mind that in small amounts, but give me tangy Greek yogurt over mayonnaise any day! I am as in love with Greek yogurt as I am with the multitude of salads I just described. I converted to Greek yogurt about three years ago. While it is amazing on its own, I love to use it in recipes as a substitute for mayo, sour cream, butter, etc. It really is so versatile.

It is a lot more expensive than other yogurt. But the stuff in Yoplait and Dannon and your local grocery store chain brand is usually packed with High Fructose Corn Syrup and is basically junk food in a package designed to make you think you are eating healthy. The high protein level and thick consistency of Greek yogurt really allow it to be eaten in a variety of ways. Give it a shot in a smoothie, or with fresh fruit and a drizzle of Agave nectar. Substitute it for one of those high-fat and calorie laden ingredients in a salad. You might be surprised how much you like it. Greek yogurt is bomb. 'Nuff said.

I was craving this chicken salad I made last summer all last week, and didn't get to make it. I went for it today, and paired it with these super yummy Quinoa Stuffed Italian Zucchini Boats. Fabulous. Next time you need a quick, uber-healthy meal, make these two recipes. Even my super-picky, mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese and yogurt-hating husband liked this! So if I can win him over, you won't have any issues!


Start out by shredding a poached chicken breast. Just plop it in some boiling water and cook  5-10 minutes until it is done all the way through. Drain it, and shred it. I HATE shredding chicken. Then, a pin on Pinterest changed my life, and I learned that 30 seconds in a stand mixer on medium with a paddle attachment shreds chicken beautifully. So shred it up, by hand or the easy, cheating way, like I did. Allow the chicken to cool.


Get a container of Greek yogurt. I am a fan of the Costco "Kirkland" brand. They make a really thick, creamy, non-fat plain Greek yogurt at a great price point. Two large 32 ounce containers are under $6. That is a fabulous price for this stuff. You need about 1/2 cup.


Throw it in a bowl with the shredded chicken. Mix it well. If it seems dry, add a little more, a teaspoon at a time. Also add a 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, 3-4 turns of freshly ground black pepper, and the juice of half of a lemon. Mix.


Dice two large apples. I used Gala apples, but Granny Smith would be great too.


Add the apples to the chicken mixture. Also add a a teaspoon of dried thyme. It adds some great flavor!


Mix it all up.


Spread some stone ground mustard on a whole wheat bun. We used whole wheat 100 calorie sandwich thins.


Add some fresh Romaine lettuce or some fresh baby spinach. Top with the lettuce or spinach with the chicken salad. Eat immediate. Nom. Nom. Nom.



Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad with Apples and Thyme

(Serves 5-6)

Ingredients

-1 poached chicken breast, shredded
-1/4 cup of plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
-Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
-1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
-3-4 turns of freshly ground black pepper
-2 large Gala apples, diced
-1 teaspoon of dried thyme
-Stone ground mustard
-Fresh Romaine or baby spinach
-Whole wheat bread/bun/sandwich thin

1. Poach a large chicken breast. Shred the chicken. Allow the chicken to cool.
2. Mix the shredded chicken with 1/4 cup of plain, non-fat Greek yogurt, the juice of 1/2 of a lemon, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and 3-4 turns of freshly ground black pepper. Combine well.
3. Dice two gala apples. Add to chicken along with 1 teaspoon of dried thyme. Mix well.
4. Serve on a whole wheat bun/bread/sandwich thin with a generous spread of stone ground mustard. Eat your heart out.

No comments:

Post a Comment