Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Natural Cleaning-Infused Vinegars

In September, I embarked upon an epic bathroom cleaning project. It was one of those, "hey, I'm going to scrub every nook and cranny, wipe up every tiny speck of dust" cleaning rampages that I tend to go on when I am stressed. After a ton of bleach and two hours, I had the worst migraine headache of my life. It lingered for four days. I made a vow then and there to stop using toxic and harsh chemicals in my cleaning. Since then, I have been experimenting with and absolutely adoring a ton of fun, and SUPER inexpensive natural cleaning solutions. My house sparkles, my head doesn't hurt, and our budget is incredibly happy about our frugal, natural choices! Ultimately, my goal is to one day not worry about my child drinking anything under the sink. Vinegar would make the kid sick to their stomach, but no call to poison control needed.

My go-to ingredient for cleaning is vinegar. A gallon of the stuff runs for about $1 at Wal-Mart or Target, and it goes so far. Since September, I have gone through two gallons-and I am an obsessive cleaner. I use it in the tub, toilet, on the floor, in the wash...it is my wonder cleaner. So today, I am going to share one of my vinegar experiments that is sitting in my windowsill as we speak.



Infused vinegar is amazing. Seriously. No joke. I adore the two I have made so far. Today, my post is on a citrus infused vinegar (citrus is amazing for cutting through grease and mildew!). It is so simple to use, and you can jazz it up with as many different citrus-y ingredients that you want. Easy peasy. You can also use other fresh or dried herbs to make vinegar infusions. Back in the fall, I grabbed handfuls of lavender from the side of the road and dried it. Last month, I popped some in a  jar with some vinegar, and have been cleaning with my lavender infused vinegar for a few weeks now, and I adore it! 

Citrus Infused Vinegar

Materials

-Glass jar/container with a non-reactive top (avoid metal, go for glass. I found four containers at the local thrift store for less than $3.00)
-Enough citrus peels to cram the jar about 90% full (I used mainly orange and lemon peels, but lime would be great too)
-White vinegar

Seriously-that's all you need!

I saved my orange peels from my breakfast smoothies and snacks for about a week, and just put them in a plastic container in the refrigerator. Clean them well so that the fruit isn't clinging inside. Then, I crammed them in the jar, poured the white vinegar over them, and put the glass top on the jar. Let the vinegar sit in the sun (ideally in a window) for two weeks. Then, pour the vinegar through a fine mesh strainer, catching any of the peels or other small bits. I usually strain mine into a big glass measuring cup. This is what it looks like as it sits in the jar.

After you have strained the vinegar, make your cleaning mixture. I use two variations. One is a bottle of the vinegar straight-up (no dilution) in a spray bottle (get these at the dollar store or Wal-Mart, and even better, save and reuse old ones that you have around the house). I use the strong solution for toilet and heavy-duty counter top cleaning. The other is a half and half mixture that I use for everyday cleaning of counters, sinks, etc. It smells amazing, and cuts through grease and stains with no trouble at all. Best of all, you could seriously lick your counter top, and not be poisoned by some evil noxious gas or toxic chemical. We like non-evil cleaners in this house. You can add a few drops of liquid castile soap (more on that later), and some essential oil if you would like. My lavender vinegar has some lemon oil in it and smells divine. 

I clean my floors with the vinegar every few days, and just put about 1/4-1/2 cup in a bowl with warm water, and then scrub the floor down. It takes everything off, disinfects, and works like a charm (I have never used this on wood floors though, so do some research before you do). 

You can make your own variations as well. With fresh lavender, cram the entire stem and leaves in, along with the buds. As summer approaches, I'll show you some more options.

Later this week, I'll provide some more information on the disinfectant properties of vinegar and oils for you. I was hesitant at first. Can vinegar really replace bleach? Won't we get sick? Well, this winter, we have not been sick at all besides a day or two of a sore throat, and our house sparkles and smells great! I promise that it is every bit as effective as your store-bought cleaners. And the price-point is unbeatable. I think I'll do a cost-comparison on that later on too.

I hope you'll try this vinegar infusion, and be as converted as me!



1 comment:

  1. my mom was always a huge fan of using vinegar to clean, especially on the hardwood floors. She always said that it helped keep the finish on the wood looking nicer.

    ReplyDelete