Thursday, March 29, 2012

Eating Well (Healthy, Clean and Natural) on a Budget


My husband and I were married about seven months ago, and once the honeymoon period wore off (which was actually pretty quickly, since I got sick right after we came home from our honeymoon), we were smacked in the face by reality. The reality of our budget. And believe me, it is a tight one. I worked as a teacher for five years before I moved and we were married, and I haven't been able to find a full-time position this year. I tutor independently, which helps a bit, but we live off my husband's salary, and it has been a challenge. Our situation is one that has brought us both frustration and unimaginable blessings. I am grateful for the constraints that we have, because we have learned to do more with less, to show gratitude for little luxuries and everyday necessities, and we have learned to communicate well about what we can and can't afford.


I am a firm believer in the principle that you can eat well on a budget. I have dabbled in couponing, and I still use coupons for some items when I can, especially when I can find them for dairy products, wholesome shelf-stable items or household necessities like paper products. I rarely use them for things like prepackaged, processed food. Over the past few years, I have grown uncomfortable with the idea of not knowing what is in my food-I see it as a really sad result of a society obsessed with instant gratification. The most common argument that I hear from people regarding eating a rich, produce and lean protein-based diet is that it is simply too expensive. Why spend money on food when you can eat frozen Totino's pizza for free when you use a coupon? I understand the economic concern-but I have learned that you can shop for your family and buy them excellent quality produce, while still sticking to a realistic and tight budget. I also know that when it comes to making economic choices, I would rather spend money on better grocery items than spend money on entertainment. We can have fun in a lot of other ways. Okay, before I get all philosophical, I want to shift directions and share some of the best ways I have found to save money on groceries. They may be a big departure from what you are used to. I encourage you to try some of them to help you to trim your budget, get more bang for your buck, and eat a richer, more fulfilling diet based in whole foods. 

1. Set a budget-When I set a budget, I buy better things, generally nutritious necessities, and avoid junk or filler items. This will vary based on your family. For two of us, we generally spend about $50 a week. Some weeks it is a little more, some weeks a little less. I set the upper limit at $65, and stick to that, To really set your budget, you need to follow tip # 2.

2. Plan your meals and make a list-Saturday mornings are my meal and shopping planning mornings. I sit down and plan our meals for the entire week. Money Saving Mom has some great printable planners at her site. I consult sales fliers for my local stores and also use GrocerySmarts.com (great in Utah, not so much for other areas) to plan my shopping. We eat based on what is on sale. I determine what to buy based on several criteria
-Is it a wholesome, natural product? 
-Will this stretch far enough to produce leftovers?
-Is the unit price on this item lower at any other stores? (Always check the unit price if you need to compare stores and brands. Just because you can get it at Costco in bulk doesn't mean it saves you money, and vice versa).

This isn't an exact science, and some weeks are better than others, but planning allows you to know in advance, what you are buying and how much you will be spending. There is nothing worse than getting to the register and having it ring up a lot higher than you anticipated. It also eliminates the "throw it in the cart" syndrome that strikes down otherwise reasonable women and men in the grocery store. Planning, making a list, and setting a budget makes everything go much more smoothly.

3. Shop the outer ring of the grocery store-Produce. Meat. Dairy. Wholesome grains. Wholesome shelf-stable products. That's it. I avoid most of the aisles at the store like the plague. Anything that has more than 5 ingredients on a label, I consider very carefully before buying, as it is sure to be packed with preservatives. artificial dyes and high-fructose corn syrup. Does that mean I don't occasionally grab a pack of double-stuff E.L. Fudge cookies? No. But that is pretty rare. You can ensure you are buying the best items if you stick to the fresh stuff. And if you are planning your meals, you are able to use all of that fresh stuff within a week or so, and minimize the dreaded issue of wasted produce.

4. See if you have a Bountiful Baskets site (or other produce co-op) in your area-We use Bountiful Baskets. Basically it's a localized food co-op, where people contribute $15/week (plus $1.50 for CC processing) and on Saturday mornings, you pick up two large baskets full of produce. They buy as locally as possible, and you get a great variety of produce every week. We regularly get between $45-$65 of produce for $16.50. It is amazing. I then use what I receive in the basket to plan my meals for the week. I will pick up maybe one or two things at the store that I need for produce, and I am good to go for the week. Bountiful Baskets allows me to spend less on produce, and more on quality protein for my family. The Basket signup is every Monday (see site for more information) and the pickups are Saturday morning. They have a lot of locations in different states and cities, and you can even sign up to start one! It's all volunteer run, so you reap all of the benefits and don't worry about overhead costs at all.

***The picture at the top of the post is a shot of one of our basket hauls from February. We get this much every week, for only $16.50!!!

5. Decide what is a necessity and what is not-One of the biggest ways I have saved money on our budget was by not buying separate lunch foods or dessert/snack items. I typically make dinner items that allow me to freeze leftovers, and my husband takes those for lunch. I eat salads and leftovers as well. We don't spend money on nitrate-packed deli meats or processed cheese. If my husband wants treats, I cut up fruit, or I will bake some cookies at home and he will eat those throughout the week. If I want a snack, I eat some veggies or yogurt. We tend to eat junk as a filler item when we don't need it, so by eliminating it, we eat better and we save money. Homemade versions of granola bars, cookies, or other snacks are much cheaper to make, and you know exactly what is in them.

Like I said, we are not perfect. We pick up pizza sometimes, and I make plenty of pies, cakes, etc. But we make them at home, we make sure they fit our budget, and we keep the bottom line on health and budgeting in sight when we make decisions. You can do this too! It took me about 3 months to really transition into doing this, and we love it. I'll share more information soon on cutting your budget even further by making all of your own cleaning supplies and some of your own personal care products. You would be amazed at what you can do!


1 comment:

  1. Lauren, this is great advice. And simple as well. I am horrible at using the excuse that eating healthy is too expensive. Then I end up eating cheap junk that makes me pack on the pounds. I have never heard of the bountiful basket idea, but I am definitely going to check it out!

    Thanks so much for these realistic posts. Now I hope to be able to follow some of the recipes that are here. They look delicious but invade my doubts about my kitchen skills!

    ReplyDelete